Suggested schema change
Addition of service type ‘store’ to the vocabulary:
store: provides infrastructure for the storage of a data object. [A type of reuse service].
Problem this suggestion addresses
Depending on how services relate to collections, services can be classified as Creation services, Metadata services, Discovery services, or Reuse services.
- Creation services add data to collections; e.g. simulators, instruments, visualisation software.
- Metadata services add metadata to items and collections; e.g. annotation software, classification software.
- Discovery services enable read-only access to collections; e.g. search, harvest, syndicate.
- Reuse services enable the reuse of research data. This includes Rights Management, Data Storage, Publishing, Ethics and Governance.
(The current RIF-CS service types for creation and metadata services were derived from the e-Framework Service Genres which are no longer maintained).
The ANDS Content Providers Guide states that “No reuse services have been included in the current service type vocabulary. The service type vocabulary can be expanded as the community requires—subject to the constraint that it describes services in the ANDS Collections Registry, which are specific to registered collections.”
The RDS Nodes provide storage services for a number of data sets described in Research Data Australia. This role will continue to expand as the Nodes increasingly allocate and provide storage to data collections across Australia. While the Nodes may not directly provide collection description metadata to Research Data Australia, they do provide a service to the collection in the form of storage, and this could be captured in metadata provided to Research Data Australia by ANDS content providers (institutions). The Node's data storage infrastructure can be encoded as a Service object in Research Data Australia currently, however none of the available Service types are a good fit.
ANDS staff working with RDS Nodes
RIF-CS schema components affected
Addition of 1 attribute (store) to the current list of 14 available (create, generate, report, annotate, transform, assemble, harvest-oaipmh, search-http, search-opensearch, search-sru, search-srw, search-z3950, syndicate-atom, syndicate-rss).
Impact on content providers
No requirement for feeds to be changed, however changes would be required to existing service records if providers would like to update the service type to ‘store’. There are currently 820 service records in the ANDS Registry. Otherwise, no impact on current records in the ANDS Registry.
- No additional burden on content providers unless they opt to update selected existing records to incorporate this addition.
- Provides an additional, relevant option for ‘type’ for providers of service records.
- Allows all service records of type ‘store’ to be identified and retrieved in Research Data Australia and the ANDS Registry.
Implementation would be straightforward and require minimal resources.
- The vocabs.xml file will need to be amended to include the new type.
- The vocabularies.html will need to be regenerated to reflect the new type.
- An update will be required to the Content Providers Guide.